Work abroad scenario

The work-abroad scenario also refers to a common situation in the EU, as already mentioned. As the time goes by and single market is enforced and European integration or spirit are increased, in conjunction with political and financial circumstances (e.g. different levels of economic development or unemployment, etc. among EU member states), an increasing number of European citizens are eager to seek for a job and move abroad on a temporarily or more long-term basis. In general terms, mobility associated with work in another Member State or Region includes at least some of the following steps:

Search for a job

  • Commencement of the application process in an organisation, firm or institution (particularly if this is owned or controlled by a public administration)
  • Certification of educational documents acquired and/ or apply for an academic recognition
  • Submission of documents requested proving authentication (including proof of registration of birth) , current address (proof or residence), work experience or social insurance (e.g. working stamps, health coverage, etc.), including the notification of changes in the personal or professional circumstances of the person receiving social security benefits,
  • Registration to local tax office (where applicable) and/ or submit an income tax declaration
  • Dealing with matters related to the relocation – residence permit, search for residence, and other practical issues affecting any person when moving to another country.

However, an individual changing country for work-related reasons may be interested in starting and running a business, thus some related services in need include:

  • Notification of business activity; permission for exercising a business activity; changes of business activity, etc; registration of employees; submission of a corporate tax declaration, payments of social contributions, etc.

Depending on their particular personal preferences, marital status, age, etc., they may have more requirements to fulfil, as well. For instance, families moving abroad can look for schools for their children and thus need lots of related services, including the:

  • Search for a school in their neighbourhood
  • Enrolment to a school
  • Submission of curriculum and grades from the origin country, etc.

Other needs and corresponding services that supplement the aforementioned ones for an individual changing country of residence within the EU indicatively include:

  • Registration to a local council (where applicable, depending on the destination country) and/ or requesting proof of residence and/ or registering a change of address;
  • Registration to a General Practitioner or a primary health unit and/ or Providing proof or health insurance coverage from the origin country and/ or Applying for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)
  • Granting access to electronic health records, or transfer related exams and records, etc.
  • Registration to a social security scheme in the destination country
  • Application for unemployment benefit may be needed for some individuals losing their job at a later date.
  • Moreover, vehicle-related services may apply, such as registering a motor vehicle originating from or already registered in a Member State; obtaining stickers for the use of the national road infrastructure (e.g. time-based charges-vignette or distance-based charges-toll) issued by a public body or institution; obtaining emission stickers issued by a public body or institution, etc.